The Hardest Thing I’ve Ever Done

Hey everyone,

Hope your week is starting out great! Mine has started pretty slow but hoping to ramp up starting tonight with a (maybe) 8 mile run with my running buddy Jeni! I want to give a great big shout out to Jeni, who is getting MARRIED on Saturday! Whoo hoo! She is awesome – planning a wedding and training for a half at the same time! So excited to help you celebrate on Saturday.

So last Saturday I ran my last long run before the marathon – 20 Miles! Holy Cow! I started off just fine with the Capital Striders. I didn’t bother looking too closely at the map, which turned out to be a big mistake for me. At some point I saw a group of about 5 runners so I decided to follow them figuring they had to be going the right way, right – there were 5 of them!?!? Wrong. I ended up back at Grays right where I started. So…I ended up alone at 10 miles. Ugh. I knew it was going to be a long one after that.

I was still feeling pretty good at 10, but at about 11.5 I started getting tired. Its amazing what your mind can do! Thankfully, I ran into Jeni and we ended up running about the next 3 miles together. So glad that happened. Then I started the lonely trek back to Grays for the last 5 miles of my run. This was without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever done. My knees hurt, my ankles hurts, I was hot and tired and just wanted to stop – BUT I kept on going. Just had to keep the momentum in my legs. I knew if I stopped I wouldn’t be able to get going again.

I finally made it back to my car. I suppose at this point you would think I would feel some sort of sense of accomplishment or something, but I didn’t feel anything but pain. I really just wanted to go home and pass out, but I made myself drive to the nearest QT and got a protein bar, beef jerky and Gatorade before heading home. I filled up on protein and Gatorade, took a shower and crawled into bed. This was about 11:30 a.m.

I FINALLY got my butt out of bed around 4 p.m. Saturday. I felt horrible. Ugh. I chugged some more water and ordered some pizza. I was starting to feel a little better. For the rest of the evening I basically sat around and ended up going to bed at 10:30 p.m. What a CRAZY Saturday night huh? haha.

I just keep telling myself that it will be worth it. It will – right??

It’s not so much that I began to run, but that I continued. – Hal Higdon, American runner and writer

Keep Running!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s