I hope everyone had a great Christmas! I know I did. I got to go back home to St. Louis for a couple of days and even got in a short run with my sister. The blizzard last week in Des Moines has really put a damper on my running here, but I am going to try to get out there tonight. The sidewalks are pretty slick still in the downtown area, but I’m hoping Gray’s Lake will be shoveled off!
Anyway – I wanted to share some of the awesome fitness gifts that I both gave and received this year. There are some pretty good ones, so if you still haven’t gotten around to getting anything for your running buddies (or keep these in mind for next year) here is my list.
- Race Bib Board – I received one of these homemade race bib boards from my running buddy Jeni. I absolutely LOVE it! What do you do with all of your running bibs? Throw them away? NO WAY! Keep them, write your time on the back, and hang them on this awesome board. All it takes to make is a wooden board, a running magazine, mod podge, and some hooks!
- Dri-fit Winter Running Shirts – You can never have too many of these! I got 3 new warm running shirts from my sister and her fiance. I guess you can say that is one of the reasons I actually want to go out in the 13 degree weather to run. I want to try them all out!
- Running shoes – Now this might be a little bit pricer item because most runners have a specific shoe that they run in (I know I do), but it is totally worth it if you are planning on spending the cash anyway. I asked my mom for some new running shoes and she didn’t want to get them for me because that is what she bought me for my birthday in September too. After training for and running a marathon, I am due for some new ones. Thankfully, these babies were under the tree on Christmas and I can put my old shoes in retirement.
- Fitness gift card – Some people think gift cards are lazy or boring gifts, but I think they are great. If you know the gym that your friend goes to or a race that your sister wants to sign up for go ahead and give them a little cash to put toward it. I personally got my sister a gift card to her favorite pilates studio. Can’t go wrong with a gift card!
- Headbands – What a great way to say “Thanks for running with me all year!” I bought these for all of my running buddies. I especially loved all the cool sayings! I found saying that perfectly described my running buddies personalities. Check them out here. Below you can see my friend Shelby modeling her “Suck it up Buttercup” headband! 🙂
- Fitness equipment – You can really get any price range on this one. My boyfriend got me a great medicine ball that came with a workout dvd. So awesome and what a great way to work out my core! One of my friends also got some free weights with a sliding scale so they don’t take up too much room. At home fitness options are big during the winter since a lot of people don’t want go out and brave the cold.
- Magazine subscription – Every year my mom calls me to ask if I want any magazine subscriptions/renewals for Christmas. For the past 3 years I have chosen Runner’s World. Probably one of my favorite magazines. I almost always feel inspired to lace up my running shoes after I read it.
So there you have it! My Christmas was pretty full of awesome fitness gifts. Hope you got some great ones too! Let me know if you got any stellar Christmas gifts! I would love to hear!
As always – Keep Running!
Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier.
Selene Yeager, “Let’s Get Started,”May 2010 issue of Runner’s World